Thursday, February 3, 2011

180 Degrees South Reflection


"Books are a great start, but there is no substitute for just going there."

I believe that this quote relates to Jeff Johnson and his journey to Chile because it sums up the reason why he started the journey in the first place. Jeff Johnson was always an adventurous kid, and thrived for new experiences. But I believe the thing that truly inspired his journey, was the stories of Yvon and Doug. After reading and learning about their amazing accomplishments and journey to Chile, Jeff truly wanted to travel that same route and find the two in South America. This connects to the quote because Jeff had read about Yvon and Doug and their crazy adventures, but it was not enough. Reading it is not the same as actually experiencing it.

This quote has the same meaning for my life and future. In just six months, I will be embarking on an unfamiliar journey- college. After years of being taught about college and life after high school, I will finally experience it for myself. Last year, as I was searching for the right college I read countless texts about colleges and the lifestyles they each had to offer. Although I have read about college, it will not be the same as truly living it.

No comments:

Post a Comment