Thursday, March 24, 2011

IRP Blog Post # 10

In this last section, Bill described the death of one of the Prime Ministers, Harold Holt. Bryson described the December 1967 day, when Holt waded into the surf at Cheviot Beach. He knew the dangers of these waters, and yet proceeded to dive right in. Instantly he vanished, and his body was never to be found.

I thought this little piece of history was insane. It seems so strange that a man in such high power could have just vanished. I decided to research more on Cheviot Beach and discovered this video. It documents a journey to the Holt Memorial.

I think it is sad that Holt's body just vanished, never to be seen again, yet, he should have known the dangers. Bryson explains that the only unusual thing about his death was that he was the prime minister. I thought this was scary because it just shows me how dangerous and unpredictable Australia can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment