Sunday, November 28, 2010

IR Blog Post 2- New York Times Books: C.I.A Agents ,Blowing Their Own Cover

This article is a book review of the book, "The Human Factor: Inside the CIA's Dysfunctional Intelligence Culture." This book was written by a former spy who goes by the name Ishmael Jones. The C.I.A has sued him for writing the book. They are accusing him of revealing secrets that he agreed to keep confidential. Also, they claim that he did not recieve the proper approval for publication. After word got out that the C.I.A has sued the author, the Amazon ranking for the book have increased since the release of the book in 2008. Jones fights back against the C.I.A's claims, saying that except for a few paragraphs, the censors he submitted his manuscript to, approved it. Also, this review talked about the recent trend of former spies sharing their experiences.

The article said that most of the money for secret intelligence efforts goes to the C.I.A. I was wondering where the rest of the money for secret intelligence efforts goes?

Also, I want to know what long term effects these memoirs will have on the C.I.A.


This article described how most memoirs, like Jone's talk about requirements for getting hired for the C.I.A. On a "How to" site, I found out what it takes to become an agent for the C.I.A. I find it funny that for such a secret agency, the information about how to get in, is so public.

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-CIA-Agent

1 comment:

  1. The increased popularity of the book after it was getting sued goes to show that any publicity is good publicity. It is interesting that the CIA is making such a big deal about what is revealed in the book. If they hadn't worried about it, most people who may be reading it now, may never even have heard about it. For example, I would be interested in reading this book now but if not for it getting sued, I would never have considered it. The question regarding where the rest of the money for secret intelligence goes; they are not allowed to tell you. It's a secret.

    ReplyDelete